Quick How to Jailbreak iPhone with 3.01 firmware using a Mac8 / 6 / 2009
Tip: One thing that I have noticed is that if you regularly use a Windows machine to sync your iPhone, it cannot be jailbroken with a Mac. I'm not entirely sure why.
- redsn0w 0.8: You can get it off the official torrents on The Pirate Bay (WARNING: there is some wierd exploit happening on The Pirate Bay so I wouldn't go there for a few days) or you can download it from me (I won't have this up forever, so if it's broke tough luck)
- Firmware IPSW (the 3.0 firmware) iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw : It's best to use the one already on your machine, but if you have some problems you can find links to all the firmware versions here: www.poorlad.com/iCommunity/
NOTE! As of right now you have to use the 3.0 firmware to jailbreak the 3.01. You can see why on the official dev-team blog.
- Read this entire post first, if that's too much trouble for you then you don't deserve any help.
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac. (make sure iTunes is NOT running).
- Turn your iPhone off.
- Run redsn0w.
- Point it to the 3.0 iphone firmware.
- It's already on your machine located: HOMEFOLDER/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
Your home folder is usually your name.
- Follow the on-screen prompts/directions in redsn0w.
- When you have to put your phone into recovery mode (or whatever it's called, the point where you have to hit the buttons on the phone). You will first hold down the top button, then you will press the bottom (home) button while still holding down on the top, then you will let go of the top. See below for more info.
Step 8 is where people have trouble so here is some extended info:
First of all, if it doesn't work, you can always try it again! So chill out!
I was having problems with jailbreaking 3.01 with the phone not restarting. The redsn0w program would just be "waiting for restart." The way I got it to work: It looked like the phone was just sitting there, so I unplugged it for about a second (maybe even less) and the screen went white. I then plugged it right back in and it proceeded to jailbreak the phone w/o incident.
If something messes up while trying to get the phone into recovery mode:
If it's not restarting or you don't get all the quick button pushing done just right, the phone might be sitting there with just a black screen. I mean BLACK screen, as in there is power going to the screen and it's showing black. DON'T PANIC! You will have to unplug the phone from your Mac and turn it on. You might have to hold some buttons down to get it back up. After it turns all the way back on, plug it into your computer and turn it off. Then you just have to start-up redsn0w and try it again. Don't get frustrated, if you can't get it to work right away, try it tomorrow.